- St. Patrick was not Irish; he was actually English.
- St. Patrick's color was blue, not green. The significance of the color green may have come from Ireland's green countryside.
- The first St. Patrick's Day parade took place in New York in the 1760s.
- According to Irish legend, St. Patrick used the shamrock as a preaching tool.
- The odds of finding a four-leaf clover are about 1 in 10,000.
- It takes 45 pounds of vegetable-based dye to turn the Chicago River green for five hours.
- There are more people with Irish ancestry in the USA (34 million) than in Ireland (4.2 million).
What does St. Patrick's Day mean to you? Do you have any Irish ancestors?
Liwen Y. Ho is an Amazon bestselling author of contemporary romance, both sweet and inspirational. A marriage and family therapist in her pre-author life, she enjoys creating realistic characters and helping them find their happily-ever-afters. She lives in California with her techie husband and their two munchkins, and blogs about life as a recovering perfectionist.
She'd love to hear from you! Find her online here:
Don't forget to subscribe (click HERE) to the Sweet Romance Reads newsletter for:
- Fresh new short romantic stories
- Our latest news about new romances we hope you will enjoy
- The chance to win prizes and books
- Personal insights into the each author
- Invitations to Facebook and Goodreads Events