Oh, the holidays! How we love the food. If not gifts, food is probably on top of the list of the things planned for and bought. Lots of goodies and special foods that we don't let ourselves have the whole year through. But doesn't it seem like these days that everyone has a special diet from choice or necessity?
The holidays, with lots of guests, can become a balance of how to prepare a meal for all of the different food restrictions. I've prepared holiday dinner with vegetarians and with those who had better have ham or duck on the table. For a long time, I had to have gluten-free, egg-free, and dairy-free items, too. It can get tricky to make it all happen and not just feel like an odd assortment of food.
Some of the things I've done:
- Smashed potatoes: Instead of mashed potatoes, use the cooking water of the potatoes to smash/mash them with vegan butter. (A little garlic salt, if allowed, helps the flavor.)
- No-bake chocolate gluten-free cookies: As long as your gf guest can handle gf oats, check out my recipe on the upcoming Sweet Romance Facebook Holiday party.
- Broiled vegetables: Whatever I broil with some olive oil and salt in the oven is a hit. I won several people over for brussels sprouts one year.
- Applesauce: Nice addition for vegetarians and children
- Baked sweet potatoes: Make a few this way for your sensitive guests.
- Stuffing cooked outside of the turkey (we like stovetop kind anyhow) and use vegetable broth for the liquid. Yes, most vegetarians do not want to eat it with chicken broth or if its been in the turkey.
On December 10th, the Sweet Romance Reads Facebook page is hosting a party full of recipes. I hope you will stop by my table and leave the recipes that you use to fulfill special dietary requirements, or at least some good tips/stories. Hope to see you there!
Get some more romance in Shaleen’s Christmas novella, My Christmas Cupcake, available as part of the Sweet Christmas Kisses 2 collection available here: Kindle, Nook
Sign up for our newsletter and keep up with Sweet Romance Reads! Scroll down the right side of our blog and enter your email address under Newsletter Signup.